Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Motherfish #?? Part II- A Quicky Becase I Know You Like Them

Hey gang! I got a little update for you all, just a little mini post before we get back into the swing of things. Summer is rapidly coming to a close, unfortunately, and the end of summer wrap-up is beginning to take shape (not literally, it's just a computer file, idiot). A lot of cool music found its way into my life this summer including new life for an old favorite and a release from two of the sexiest mother/girlfriend fucking rappers I've ever met (Color <3 Scroll). But in order for today's band to get the attention that is due, I needed a separate post. So let's talk.

During your life, you make decisions, form opinions, and you stick to them (usually). The worst insult is when a peer accuses you of not being original, the cardinal sin of copy-cat. It's like a death sentence, you become ostracized, ridiculed, and harassed verbally and physically. No? You didn't? Ok so maybe my time in middle school was a little bit rougher than yours (you hear that Brett? I STILL REMEMBER). The point is, nobody wants to be called out for following the crowd, even though everybody does it. Thing is, often times your friends can offer solid advice. Fuck, most of the bands I review were referred to me by a friend if not direct requests. I have a good friend to thank for today's band.

Fevers and Mirrors by Bright Eyes.

Fuck, Bright Eyes. This is basically the hipster equivalent of reviewing The Beatles. But you can calm down, I have nothing but mostly good things to say. The first time I encountered BE, I was a lowly freshman in high school, (read as I was dumb as dirt). I hated everything about this band. I hated the way the instruments sounded, I hated the sound of Conor Oberst's voice, I hated his lyrics, and I hated everything he and his fans stood for. Strong words, eh? Needless to say, my first experience with them would be my last for a while. Fast forward to the summer before college began. A good friend of mine who goes by the name of Jack P, DDS, inquired as to my opinions regarding Bright Eyes. I responded with calculated but still burning fury. Now Jack has a good head on his shoulders, he's a smart kid, and he's got a killer sense for picking out good tunes. So, when he started touting Conor and his kin as the musical world's sliced bread, I grew suspicious.

"Alright, Jack, I'll give Bright Eyes another shot".

Thank the Almighty Lord I did. I discovered what is some of the most well thought out songwriting with very honest, good Americana folk music. Now Bright Eyes has worn many faces over the years, each release being slightly different from the last, but the underlying tone just calls to mind images of Bob Dylan. And wheat. Lots and lots of wheat (sorry Brad). His lyrics are genuinely clever without being ostentatious and his songs are catchy without sacrificing quality. Fevers and Mirrors is definitely closer to the traditional end of the folk spectrum, with something like Digital Ash in a Digital Urn falling somewhere on the experimental side due to its heavy use of electronic instruments. And though I have since made my way through the entire Bright Eyes collection, I continually come back to Fevers. Its touching, its cute, and surprisingly astute in its examination of the human condition and how we respond to our own ailments and personal trials. It's a very deep record that probes your subconscious and also offers great insight into the mind of Conor Oberst. One of the tracks, An Attempt to Tip the Scales, actually has an interview with Conor talking about the record which is really, really cool. Conor, if you're reading, I FUCKING LOVE THIS ALBUM. It's unbelievable.


For your listening pleasure, Fevers and Mirrors, the album which originally turned me off of Bright Eyes for what I imagined would be the rest of my life and has now become one of my personal favorites.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4lmmznnui9o

No comments:

Post a Comment